
A photograph in Harry and Meghan’s Netflix trailer showing they were being hounded by paparazzi was actually taken at a Harry Potter premiere years before they met.
The image shows a huge pack of photographers allegedly fighting for space to snap pictures of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
But the photo is in fact taken the red carpet at the premiere for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two in London – which no royals attended.
J.K Rowling was joined by the film’s three main stars Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint at the event in July 2011.
The picture is shown as Harry narrates: ‘I had to do everything I could to protect my family.’
Royal expert Ingrid Seward told The Sun: ‘I don’t imagine Harry would have realised, but Netflix have been careless here as it weakens Harry’s comment about protecting his family. This fake picture weakens his point.’
It is understood that no members of the Royal Family attended the premiere.
Instead, the photo appears first under search results for ‘paparazzi’ on stock image website Alamy.




MORE : Raiders took ‘£300,000 in jewellery and watches’ from Raheem Sterling’s home
MORE : Keir Starmer blocks Jeremy Corbyn from running for Labour at next election
Last week Netflix released the first glimpse of the highly anticipated series which the couple have been working on since moving to the US.
The minute-long teaser features private photographs of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the first shots of them speaking to the camera.
Harry is seen saying: ‘No one sees what’s happening behind closed doors…I had to do everything I could to protect my family.’
Meghan is heard telling an interviewer: ‘When the stakes are this high doesn’t it make more sense to hear our stories from us?’
Netflix is billing the documentary as a ‘global event’ but has not confirmed an air date.
The documentary will be titled ‘Harry & Meghan’ but it’s unclear if it will be feature-length or a series.
Reports emerged this week it could be released as soon as December 8 but that has yet to be officially confirmed.
Rumours have swirled around the production since the death of Queen Elizabeth II.


MORE : Keir Starmer blocks Jeremy Corbyn from running for Labour at next election
MORE : Takehiro Tomiyasu stunned after being told about injury to Arsenal teammate Gabriel Jesus
It’s claimed Harry wanted to change elements of the documentary to reflect the shift in the public mood towards the royal family.
Netflix was said to be pushing back and keen to get it released as soon as possible after numerous delays behind the scenes.
It features commentary from friends and family, most of whom have never spoken publicly before about what they witnessed according to Netflix, and historians who discuss the state of the British Commonwealth today and the royal family’s relationship with the press.
It adds: ‘The series does more than illuminate one couple’s love story, it paints a picture of our world and how we treat each other.’
The director is two-time Academy Award-nominated and Emmy-winning director Liz Garbus.
It’s not the only development that could add to a rift that has changed the face of the royal family in recent years.
Harry’s tell-all memoir which promises revelations about his life in Britain’s most famous family is weeks away from release.
The book, titled ‘Spare’, will be published around the world on January 10.
When it was announced it was billed as an ‘intimate and heartfelt memoir’ that ‘will share, for the very first time, the definitive account of the experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons that have helped shape him’.
A spokesperson said it ‘explores the clandestine days of their early courtship and the challenges that led to them feeling forced to step back from their full-time roles in the institution’.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.